On a long Himalayan trek, it is very important to pack your Backpack efficiently. A backpack is your one constant companion throughout the trek, giving you support for those long walks up the mountain.
Before you start packing
Keep in mind the following tips to pack a backpack properly:
1. Depending on your trekking style, you will need to pack varying amount of stuff with you. Alpine trekkers generally carry all their belongings themselves, with loads up to 20-25 Kgs whereas in group treks, you need to carry only your personal belongings, up to 8-10 Kgs.
2. Pack your heavier stuff in the middle of the pack, creating a comfortable centre of gravity. A bottom-heavy pack feels saggy while a top-heavy feels tippy. Keep the heaviest items above your sleeping bag & close to your spine for good support.
3. Keep the items you will need at night only at the bottom except for the headlamp which should always be at your disposal.
4. Make efficient use of outside pockets to keep the oft-required things handy at all times.
5. Keep all the compression straps tightened to limit load-shifting. Make sure your backpack sits well on your back & shoulders, distributing the weight properly.
6. Carry a rain cover and keep it stored in a handy location. Even for water proof backpacks, a good rain cover helps cover the seams and zippers which can allow water to seep in, in case of heavy showers.
7. Keep a separate bag to carry Wet or dirty clothes and socks in your backpack. Keep a small garbage bag to carry personal waste back from the trail
8. Cover all pointed edges and spikes appropriately in your backpack, inside and outside both. Any loose edges can damage material kept beside it.